Gun Vault is arguably the most recognized names in quick access handgun safes and security. There products range from completely portable containers that you can fit into your briefcase or purse, to larger security containers that bolt to a wall.
In 2010, the company received the product of the year award from the Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence.
Gunvault is known for its biometric locking system. A biometric lock is a device that reads fingerprints to open a safe. If you have never seen this type of lock in action, it is pretty awesome. The device quickly reads your fingerprints and the door pops open to allow quick and easy access to your handgun when you need it most.
Personally, I do not think the technology has evolved where this type of lock is appropriate for full size gun safes, however, for smaller handgun safes I do enjoy the convenience.
If biometric locks are not your thing, Gun Vault also offers a full array of combination and keyed entry products that can do the trick.
Gun Vault Company History
Gun Vault has been in business for over twenty years and the company was recently bought by Cannon Safes.
Here are links to the best pricing on the Gunvalt product line. Make sure you factor in shipping costs. Amazon typically does not include shipping. By comparison, Gunsafes.com has free shipping on orders over $50.
Some of the nomenclature for these handgun safes can be confusing. There are a lot of “Mini” and “Multi” names, as well as “deluxe” and “standard”, etc. Sometimes these distinction works, other times I think a different naming system could have been easier.
Nonetheless, let’s take a look at how this different categories of handgun safes from GunVault stack up!
Micro Vault Series
The Micro Vault series is the premier small portable offering from GunVault. Each Gun Vault handgun safe can carry one handgun and a spare magazine. It can easily fit in a backpack, briefcase or decent sized purse.
This handgun safe is great for transporting your weapon to and from the range, on an airplane (confirm with current TSA rules), in your vehicle, or even just around town.
There are two different models:
- MicroVault MV500STD: This model uses GunVault’s “no eyes” keypad technology. The keypad looks similar to the biometric lock, but uses a special keypad lock. The suggested retail price is $139.95.
- MicroVault Biometric MVB-500: This model is the same shell, but utilizes a biometric lock, rather than a keypad. The suggested retail price is $215.95.
Mini Safe Series
The Mini Safe Series is also a portable option, but is much larger. As you can see from the pictures, it is not going to fit easily in a bag or purse. This Gun Vault safe looks like a big shoe box.
This safe is cool because it can carry a handgun and more than 1 spare magazine. It also can be used to transport or protect items other than a handgun.
This series is also great because you can actually mount it to the mall or use an optional cable.
There are three different “Mini” safes. I have listed the three of them below.
Please be aware that for some reason, GunVault organizes these safes a little differently on its website. They discuss the Mini Biometric with the Multi Biometric.
Personally, I think this leads to confusion, since the only common factor between these two safes is the biometric lock and power supply. Most everything else, including the name, is more similar to the other two “Mini” safes.
All three of the following models are the same size: 8.1 x 4.9 x 12 (inches).
- Mini Safe GV1000C-STD (Standard): This safe uses GunVault’s special “no eyes” keypad technology. (MSRP $144.95).
- Mini Safe Deluxe GV1000C-DLX: This safe is the same as the standard Mini safe, but has a motion detector, courtesy light, low battery warning, and an external power supply. (MSRP $164.95).
- Mini Biometric Portable GVB-1000: Again, this safe is the same sizes as the other Mini’s. This handgun safe also has a courtesy light, low battery warning, and an external power supply. (MSRP $324.95).
Multi Safe Series
The Multi Safe Series is similar in look and function to the Mini Safe Series, except these handgun safes are bigger. These larger safes are great for storing extra items from ammunition to other valuables. They are particularly great if you have an RV or boat. They are also a simple option for your office or if traveling and staying in a hotel.
Like the Mini, the Multi Safe Series comes in three different options: Standard, Deluxe and Biometric. All of the safes are the same dimensions: 10.1 x 7.9 x 14 (inches).
- Multi Safe GV2000C-STD: The Standard option only uses battery power and comes with the “no eyes” combination lock. (MSRP $174.95).
- Multi Deluxe Safe GV2000C-DLX: The Deluxe model has the “no eyes” lock and also comes with a motion detector, courtesy light, low battery warning, and an external power supply. (MSRP $194.95).
- Multi Biometric Safe GVB-2000: The biometric lock uses a different power supply (9v battery versus AAA) and also has a courtesy light, low battery warning, and an external power supply. (MSRP $419.95).
Nano Vault Series
The Nano Vault Series is for the cheap skate in all of us! These things are cheap, ranging in price from approximately $30-$40 (but you can get them for less). Does this make them bad? No.
The Nano Series is most aptly compared with the Micro Safe Series. The Nano Series is smaller, so even if you are looking for a low price option, it may not fit your gun.
It has thinner steel and uses a key (Nano Vault 100/200) or standard 3 digit combination lock (Nano Vault 300) (like your old suitcase), not the “no eyes” technology. Here are the three options:
- Nano Vault 100 (MSRP $29.95)
- Nano Vault 200 (MSRP $34.95)
- Nano Vault 300 (MSRP $39.95)