- Home / Liberty Colonial 30 Gun Safe
Liberty Colonial 30 Gun Safe
The Liberty Colonial 30 gun safe is a value oriented safe for the entry level market. Like most safes in this category I can’t claim it is the best thing since sliced bread, nor can I be too disparaging.
This type of gun safe serves a definite purpose in the market place and the Colonial 30 offers a lot of pluses over the competition. Nonetheless, there are trade offs for the price. I would note that this is not a bad thing.
Not everyone can afford a $65,000 automobile, and not everyone can afford a $5,000 gun safe. Most people try to get the best they can for the money. The trick is making an informed decision and that’s what we will try to do with this safe review.
The Colonial Series from Liberty Safe has 3 different sized models. The Colonial 30 is the middle size and can hold up to 30 long guns plus other storage.
The retail price is $1,429, but you can get it for a little less if you shop around.
Warranty: Liberty Safes offers a very good warranty. If the safe is damaged due to fire or attempted theft, it will repair or replace the safe at no cost to you, including delivery and installation. Like all safes manufacturers, it does not cover the contents. Also, be aware that if your homeowners insurance would cover the replacement costs, then you have to use your insurance and not rely on the warranty.
Please note, if you are unfamiliar with some of the terminology used in this review or would like to learn more about how I review and analyze each gun safe, please see my Gun Safe Buying Guide.
- UL Rated: The Liberty Colonial 30 has a UL RSC rating. While fairly standard for safes reviewed on this site, many mass marketed safes do not get this rating, so it is important to note.
- UL Rated Lock: Again, it is important to note that this safe has a UL Group II rated S&G combination lock.
- Fire Rating: The safe has a 45 minute fire rating. This is decent for an entry level option.
- Good Storage: This safe can hold 30 long guns. This size is good considering its fire rating and overall construction and price.
- Made in the USA: Not many things are still made in the USA. This safe is one of them.
- Steel Gauge: The steel is only 12 gauge thick. This thickness is fairly standard on most value oriented entry level options. I believe this safe is a good step up from the Centurion deluxe, so it would have been nice to get a little thicker steel.
- Locking Bolt Sides: The Liberty Colonial 30 has 11 locking bolts (good) on 3 sides. While this is a huge step up from the Centurion Deluxe series, it is still not as good as having four sided protection.
- Short: a 60 inch height may be more than adequate for most people. However, if you have longer guns, you will need to step up to the Colonial 50 model which is 72 inches.
Fit and Finish
There are three different hardware finishes (black, chrome, chrome and brass). Depending upon which you choose, there are a variety of set color schemes available. (up to 6 exterior colors).
The Colonial series comes with the standard 3-in-1 storage solutions offering you up to three different ways to make the layout.
All in all, this gun safe is a big step up from the really basic offerings of most companies.
This Liberty Colonial 30 gives entry level buyers a taste of the better features a safe can have. It is MUCHbetter than the Centurion series and similar ilk from other manufacturers. You are still not quite there if you want the better protection more expensive safes can offer.
But, let’s be clear. This safe can be bought for under $1,400. If you want some of the better features, you need to come up with another $1,000 to $1,500. This is a pretty big difference. Liberty Safe delivers on a good safe for the price point.
Liberty Colonial 30 – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Liberty Colonial 30|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||12 Gauge Steel|
|Inside Bolt Holes||Yes|
|Locking Bolts – No.||11|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||3|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1″|
|Lock Rating||Group II|
|Fire Rating Agency||In-House|
|Fire Rating||45 min. at 1,200° F|
|Exterior Measurement||60.5″ x 36″ x 25″|
|Weight (lbs.)||640 lbs.|