- Home / Fort Knox Safe
Fort Knox Safe
Protector 6026 Gun Safe Review
The Fort Knox Safe, Protector 6026, is the smallest of five gun safe models in the Protector Series. It has a stated capacity of between 8 and 16 long guns depending upon your internal configuration choice.
The Protector Series is essentially the same as the Defender Series, with only a couple of differences. First, the Protector Series has no 61 inch wide model. TheDefender 7261 is a monster that holds up to 84 guns. Second, the Protector comes in your choice of fourteen glossy finishes and 4 textured colors. The Defender only has the four textured color choices.
All in all, these are minor differences between the two lines. I wonder if this small distinction is even necessary. Why not just combine the two lines? No matter.
Fort Knox Safe Key Advantages
- Steel: The Protector 6026 has 10 gauge steel. Very nice.
- UL RSC Rating: While it may seem like this rating is easy to achieve, you would be surprised how many popular gun safe choices do not have it.So, while common for many gun safes, it is at least good to see here.
- Fire Rating: The Protector is rated for 90 minutes at 1,680° F.Fort Knox states that it uses a third party to certify its fire ratings, but does not disclose the third party.
- Lock Plate: Fort Knox uses a ball bearing locking plate. The ball bearings are supposed to snap a drill bit if a thief attempts to break into the safe. Awesome!
Fort Knox Safe Key Disadvantages
- Height: This safe is only 60 inches high. If you want an upper shelf inside the safe, this model may not be right for you.
- Deal Network: I live in the Boston area.The closest listed dealer is almost 40 miles away.I used to live in Rural Maine near the New Hampshire border.The closest dealer is well over a hundred miles away.The point is there are not a lot of choices for pricing, delivery and service.If you have a close Fort Knox dealer you like, provides good pricing and you trust them, this is not a disadvantage. If you like to shop around or live in a remote area, Fort Knox’s dealer network is not ideal.Also, be aware that at least one dealer claims that its dealership license was revoked because it posted its Fort Knox pricing online.Again, great safe, archaic sales model.
Fit and Finish
The external color choices are essentially the reason you buy this safe over the equivalent Defender Series Model. Fourteen glossy color choices is nice, if you really do not want to look at a textured safe for the next 20 years.
The Protector Series, from Fort Knox Safe, hits a lot of the key features I like to see, as laid out in my gun safe buying guide. The only caution with this particular model is its size. It is only 60 inches high and can only hold a maximum of 16 long guns. If you know this is all you need, then I think you will be happy with this safe.
Fort Knox Protector 6026 – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Protector 6026|
|UL Security Rating||UL RSC|
|Steel Thickness||10 Gauge|
|Inside Bolt Holes||Yes|
|Locking Bolts – No.||11|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||4|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1.5″|
|Lock Rating||UL Group II|
|Fire Rating Agency||Third Party|
|Fire Rating||90 min. at 1,680° F|
|Door Seal||Dual Seal Palusol|
|Exterior Measurement||60.5″ x 26″ x 23″|