- Home / Browning Gold G39F
Browning Gold G39F
The Browning Gold G39F gun safe is one of the best values if you are looking in the premium safe category.
The features on the G39F are outstanding and are some of the best in the business.
The gun safe does retail for $4,899, but you can get it for closer to $4,000. I say it is a bargain because typically you will pay over $5,000 for other safes with some of the similar features you find in the Browning Gold gun safe series.
There are three different models in the Gold Series, with the G39F being right in the middle. There is one smaller (G28F) and one larger (G65F). Browning Safe only makes one series with more features, the Platinum Plus series.
The G39F can hold approximately 22-33 long guns in the body of the safe and up to 10 more hanging from the door in Browning’s patented DPX door storage system.
If you are new to the site and you are not familiar with some of the terminology I am using, then please check out my comprehensive gun safe buying guide. This guide walks you through all the terms and categories I use to analyze any given full size gun safe on this site.
Admittedly, this review is a little (a lot!) lopsided. There are many more advantages to the Browning Gold G39F than disadvantages. Let’s take a look.
- UL RSC Rating: Pretty standard stuff, but worth noting.
- S&G UL Group II Rated Lock: For an additional fee, you can get an electronic lock or even a biometric lock.
- Locking Bolts: The entire Gold Series has four way locking bolts AND diagonal corner locking bolts. Great feature and benefit as it helps protect against prying attacks!
- Steel Thickness: ALL premium gun safes need at least 10 gauge steel. The Browning Gold G39F does not disappoint.
- Fire Rating: Fire damage is more common than theft. This model has a 100 minute fire rating and should be up to the task of fire protection.
- Angled Lock Protection Plate: The angled plate has a tendency to defect and snap drill bits. I am not aware of any other gun safe that has an angled plate.
- Uni-Force Locking System: If a thief tries to force open the safe, the G39F has an enhanced system for deflecting the pressure away from the lock (keeping it from breaking).
- Price: Yes, this safe is a VALUE, but only for premium safes. If you have champagne tastes, but a beer budget, this gun safe may be a bit out of your reach. Thus, it is not so much a disadvantage, but more acknowledging a reality.
- Dehumidifier: On the good side, Browning Safe includes the light package with this safe. However, you still have to fork over approximately $29 for the dehumidifier. For over $4,000, why not include it?
- In-House Fire Rating: Overall, Browning has one of the best reputations in the business. However, I wish they had the fire ratings tested by an outside agency.
Fit and Finish
Browning offers some of the more interesting and diverse options for its exterior graphics. You have 8 different graphic choices (standard scroll work and game graphics). You also can support 1 of 4 different organizations and get their logo/custom graphic on the safe (e.g., NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, etc.). If you choose to support one of the organizations, a portion of the safe cost is donated to support your chosen cause.
As mentioned above, you can choose to have an electronic or biometric lock on the safe. In particular, having the option of adding a biometric lock is unusual.
The Browning Gold G39F also has some unique interior storage features. The DPX door storage option is one of the best in the business. Also, has what it calls the AXIS Adjustable Shelving system. This system allows for HUGE flexibility in adjusting the interior shelving up and down, and side to side.
Many gun safes have flexible shelving, but this new system from Browning, I think is a little step above the rest of the field.
The DPX system now has special recesses in the door t more easily hang scoped rifles on the door. They call it Scope Saver.
As you can probably tell, I rate the Browning Gold G39F highly. I think for a premium safe offering, it I an excellent value.
Browning Gold G39F – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Brownin Gold G39F|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||10 Gauge|
|Inside Bolt Holes||No|
|Locking Bolts – No.||24|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||4|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1.5″|
|Lock Rating||Group II|
|Fire Rating Agency||In-House|
|Fire Rating||100 min. at 1,200° F|
|Exterior Measurement||60″ x 40″ x 28″|
|Weight (lbs.)||1,165 lbs.|