- Home / Heritage Safe Company
Heritage Safe Company
Ultimate UX3960 Gun Safe Review
The Heritage Safe Company has designed the Ultimate Series to be its premier offering. The Ultimate UX3960 is one of five models in this series, and they are all very good. Estimated maximum capacity of the safe is 48 long guns.
For your knowledge, Heritage Safe numbers their safes in a particular way. The first two numbers in the Model number stand for the width of the safe, 39 inches in this case, and the last two numbers represent the safe’s height, 60 inches for this safe.
The Ultimate Series was completely redesigned in 2012. The new series offers more model choices, greater fire protection and several unique and innovative security features.
Heritage safe Company Key Advantages
- Fire Rating: Heritage is one of the few safes to actually have a third party test the fire ratings of their gun safes. ITR tested the Ultimate and gave it a fire rating of 125 minutes at over 1,600° F. That would be one long fire!
- Weight: Most safes struggle to get over the 1,000 pound mark, particularly the smaller to medium size safes. This safe weighs in at a scale tipping 1,425 pounds. Remember, this safe only holds 48 guns. While this is a substantial size, it is by no means one of the larger gun safes out there. However, it is one of the heaviest, for any size.
- Glass Re-Locker: If a pry attempt is made on the safe door, a glass panel will break, freezing the locking bolts in place.A glass re-locker is rare in non-commercial grade safes.
- Patented Pry Locking Bolts: Most locking bolts are cylindrical. These bolts have a notch at the end that catches the frame if a pry attack is attempted. This extra “catch” is unique to Heritage Safe.
Heritage Safe Company Key Disadvantages
- Steel: The company touts the total steel surrounding the safe body as 5/16 inch (which would be VERY thick). However, this is not really accurate. The Ultimate has 11 gauge steel in the outer body and another inner 16 gauge steel liner. There are several layers of fiberboard insulation separating the two steel layers. Eleven gauge steel is ok, but for the “Ultimate” safe, this is a little thin. This is especially true considering how great this safe is on so many other levels.
- Clutch Mechanism: The safe utilizes a shear pin instead of a clutch mechanism to thwart forced entry through the handle.In my gun safe buying guide, I go on record as supporting the use of a clutch, versus other methods, e.g., CAM, shear pin, etc. This feature wouldn’t automatically disqualify the safe for me, but multiple safe experts still prefer the clutch.
- Dealer Network: I have said many times that I do not like exclusive dealer networks that do not publish prices publically. This makes it very difficult for the consumer to make comparisons and informed decisions. In today’s day and age, this practice seems very company focused, not customer focused.
- Dehumidifier: This safe is expensive and a top of the line offering. Why not throw in the dehumidifier for free? It cannot possibly cost them that much. Not a deal breaker, but a little much. It is kind of like buying a new Lexus and then the dealer says that the floor mats will cost you extra: “Come on man!”
Fit and Finish
- Exterior Colors: You can choose from 6 different gloss finishes or 6 textured finishes. This is a very good selection of choices.
- Lighting: Unlike the dehumidifier add-on, lighting is included.
- Shelving: You have a choice of 1 adjustable interiors.
What can I say, all-in-all, is that this is a good safe from the Heritage Safe Company. I wish the safe had thicker steel, otherwise it would get a very high recomendation. Regardless, the other security features and fire rating, make this an very good choice. Just make sure you put the safe in the right spot. At 1,425 pounds, you will not want to move this bad boy.
Heritage Safe Company Ultimate UX3960 – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Ultimate UX3960|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||11 Gauge (plus 16 gauge liner)|
|Inside Bolt Holes||Yes|
|Locking Bolts – No.||Not Disclosed|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||4|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1.25″|
|Lock Rating||Group II|
|Clutch Mechanism||Shear Pin|
|Fire Rating Agency||ITR|
|Fire Rating||125 Minutes at 1,600+° F|
|Exterior Measurement||60″ x 39″ x 31″|