- Home / Liberty Centurion Deluxe Gun Safe
Liberty Centurion Deluxe Gun Safe
The liberty Centurion Deluxe 23 is part of the new revamping of the Centurion Series in 2011. While the Centurion series seems to technically exist, it appears to be on the way out and the new Centurion Deluxe Series on the way in. Either way, you are looking at Liberty Safes entry level gun safe series.
What’s the difference between the old and the new? There are some minimal cosmetic and size differences. However, the real difference is that the Deluxe Series now has the following:
- 3 Additional Locking Bolts
- Locking Bolts on 2 sides, not just 1.
- Steel Gussett (makes it harder to pry open the door)
- Better body Construction (less welds)
The Liberty Centurion Deluxe 23 is one of three models in the series (there is one bigger and one smaller). It has a stated capacity of 25 long guns and retails for approximately $1,119.
For an overview of my evaluation criteria, please see my Gun Safe Buying Guide.
- UL Rating: The Centurion Deluxe 23 has a RSC rating. Almost all of the safes reviewed on this site have the RSC rating. So why bother mentioning it? Many entry level options from mass market producers like Stack-On and Sentry do not have the rating. So, it is important to note when a entry level gun safe has it.
- UL Rated Lock: Again, I would note that this model comes with an S&G UL Group II rated combination lock.
- Weight: This safe is almost 500 pounds. Not real heavy, but pretty remarkable considering its size and price.
- Fire Rating: The Deluxe 23 has a 30 minute fire rating. This is the lowest you would ever want to go, and maybe too low. But again, if you look at other mass-market alternatives, this unit is good. The door also has a Palusol door seal.
- Steel Thickness: As my buying guide notes, I do not like 12 gauge steel. Nonetheless, on entry level units it is the standard. Thus, it is what it is. Other entry level safes sometimes have as low as 14 gauge or worse.
- Locking Bolts: There are locking bolts only on two sides. Ouch!
- Price: You can get this safe for around $1,100. This is a little pricey for an entry level option with thinner steel and locking bolts only on 2 sides.
Fit and Finish
You get two textured finish options (black and grey) and one glossy finish option (grey). The safe comes with a standard internal shelving system that gives you three different choices.
As entry level options go, the Liberty Centurion Deluxe 23 is not a bad option. It has some decent security and attractive finishes. It is a little pricey, but you know you are getting a decent safe, as Liberty Safe has a very good reputation. Also, for what it is worth, The Centurion deluxe Series is made in the USA.
Liberty Centurion Deluxe – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Liberty Centurion Deluxe 23|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||12 Gauge|
|Inside Bolt Holes||Yes|
|Locking Bolts – No.||8|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||2|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1″|
|Lock Rating||Group II|
|Fire Rating Agency||In-House|
|Fire Rating||30 min. at 1,200° F|
|Exterior Measurement||60.5″ x 30″ x 25″|
|Weight (lbs.)||485 lbs.|