- Home / Browning Theftgard TG15F Gun Safe
Browning Theftgard TG15F Gun Safe
The Theftgard TG15F is the smallest entry level gun safe available from Browning. The Theftgard Series is very popular and widely distributed. For less than $1,000, you get a fire proof gun safe from a legendary company. While Browning does make some of the best safes in the business, be aware that the Theftgard series has some notable deficiencies that you will have to balance against the great price.
There are four different Theftgard models. The largest allows storage of up to 30 rifles, plus an additional 10 rifles on the door. The TG15F has a max storage of 14 rifles, plus 5 more in the door. Many owners report that to store 14 rifles is difficult and that the rifles have to be relatively small.
Warranty: The Browning Safe warranty is decent, but not the best in the industry. The safe has a lifetime warranty for break-in, attempted break-in and fire damage. However, amongst other items, YOU must provide the police/fire report AND proof that your insurance does not cover the damage to the safe. Despite these hoops, the company does pay for shipping the old/new safe, provided the address is within the Continental United States.
- UL Rating: The Theftgard Series has a UL Group II rated S&G combination lock. The series also has a UL RSC rating. These two ratings are good, and surprising, on a gun safe under $1,000. On the premium $4,000 gun safe, these ratings are a given. On the lower end value safes, it can be hit or miss.
- Fire Rating: The safe has a 30 minute fire rating. This rating is the absolute minimum as discussed in the gun safe buying guide. Browning does its own internal fire rating. The safe also has a Palusol door seal.
- Price: This model can be yours for under $1,000.
- Steel: 12 gauge steel is 12 gauge steel. You aren’t getting 7 gauge steel on a $1,000 safe.
- Locking Bolts: The locking bolts only come on three sides. This is not really surprising or unusual for an inexpensive entry level gun safe.
Fit and Finish:
I hope you like the textured color “Hammer Gray” because that is it. The safe does have a cool Browning log on it. The interior comes in a standard configuration.
There really isn’t much to say on this safe. It has 12 gauge steel and bolts on only three door sides. BUT, it is very inexpensive, offers decent storage capabilities and a fire rating. You could do a lot worse than this safe with some of the entry level options out there.
For example, the entry level Sentry gun safe is about $100 cheaper, but has no UL rating and worse locking bolt coverage, just to name a few drawbacks. Thus, if inexpensive is what you’re looking for, this is a better option than many other choices.
Browning Theftgard TG15F – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Theftgard TG15F|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||12 Gauge|
|Inside Bolt Holes||No|
|Locking Bolts – No.||9|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||3|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1″|
|Lock Rating||Group II|
|Fire Rating Agency||In-House|
|Fire Rating||30 min. at 1,200° F|
|Exterior Measurement||58″ x 24″ x 18″|