- Home / Winchester Safe – Silverado 22 Review
Winchester Safe – Silverado 22 Review
The Winchester Safe gun safe is another value oriented option. The Silverado Series has some really good features, but, like other Winchester options, you will have to decide if you want to accept some of the safe’s short comings.
There are four different gun safe series from Winchester: Legacy, Silverado, Ranger, Deputy.
The Silverado Series has three different models the Silverado 22, 37, 49.
2012 Winchester Safe Improvements (other than discussed below):
- Interior Upgrades
- Reinforced Steel Door Jam
- Increased Sttel Thickness
- Power/Internet Jacks Added
- Recessed Door
- Upgraded Door Hinges
- Locking Bolts: This model has 12 locking bolts spread around all four corners of the door. As detailed below, the cost of this safe is really negligible to other options, so the added protection for just a little more money is really worth it. The locking bolts are also thick at 1.5″.
- UL RSC Rating: The Silverado 22 has a UL RSC rating. While you will see this rating on a lot of safes, it is still worth mentioning, particularly on a lower priced model.
- UL Rated Lock: Typically, you can get either a combination or electronic lock for the same price, both UL rated. Manufacturers will vary, usually being S&G or Kaba Mas.
- Fire Rating: The safe is rated for 2 hours at 1,400° F. Like stated in other Winchester Reviews, this is an in-house rating and has not been independently verified. This is a very good fire rating for an inexpensive safe. Nonetheless, you will have to assume it is a valid rating.
- Steel Thickness: The Silverado 22 has 10 gauge steel. This is vastly improved over 2011, when this model had 12 gauge steel.
- Price: The suggested retail price is $2,200, but please do not pay this. You can get this safe for much less. This is not an awful price, but a little pricey for the size.
- Internal Height: The internal height of this safe is 53.5″. If you have longer guns, make sure this safe will work for you. If it is too short inside, you may want to step up to the Silverado 49, which has a 66″ internal height.
Fit and Finish:
Like most Winchester Safe options, you get a choice of two external glossy colors, black and granite. There is only one internal color, I would tell you what it is but “who cares?” You don’t have a choice anyway!
There is a predrilled dehumidifier hole. You will have to purchase the dehumidifier and any lighting you want separately. New for 2012, you do get a pre-installed electrical outlet.
The Silverado 22 is a solid option. I like the locking bolts on all four sides and the UL rated lock and security ratings. The upgraded steel make this a very attractive option. You you will take a bit of a leap of faith that the fire rating is what it says it is. Like other Winchester Safe options, the safe has a rugged, no nonsense look that is appealing. If you are looking for a smaller, value priced safe, the Silverado 22 is a good choice.
Winchester Silverado 22 – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Silverado 22|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||10 Gauge|
|Inside Bolt Holes||Yes|
|Locking Bolts – No.||12|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||4|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1.5″|
|Lock Rating||Type 2|
|Fire Rating Agency||In-House|
|Fire Rating||2 hours at 1,400° F|
|Exterior Measurement||60″ x 30″ x 25″|