- Home / Winchester Safes
Ranger 19 Gun Safe Review
Winchester Safes is a beloved name in the gun industry. The is its entry level option and has three different models, theRanger 19, Ranger 30 and Ranger 45. This review takes a look at the Ranger 19.
In 2011, the entire Ranger Series was completly over hauled. Winchester added a new model (Ranger 45) and increased the over all security and fire protection features. They really took this series from a forgetable entry level option to a rather appealing one.
There are not many entry level options with an hour fire rating and locking bolts on all four sides. If you have not read my gun safe buying guide, check out the link. It is over 20 pages long and goes into great detail about the ideal safe you can get and the terminology I discuss in these reviews.
2012 Improvements Include:
- Interior Upgrades
- Reinforced Steel Door Jam
- Recessed Door
- Upgraded Door Hinges
- UL RSC Rated: For an entry level safe to have this rating is a positive.
- UL Rated Lock: This level of lock is the same level of lock found on many more expensive safes.
- 1 Hour Fire Rating: Typically, the best level of fire rating you can expect on an entry level safe is 30 minutes, so this rating is a big improvement.
- Size: It holds up to 24 guns. Some users have found this claim to be a bit ambitious, but nonetheless, it has a decent capacity even if the actual capacity is a little lower.
- 12 Gauge Steel: This steel thickness is better than some entry level safes, but still a bit thin as compared with the optimal thickness of 10 gauge or better.
- Fire Rating: Like all Winchester Safes, the fire rating is done in house with little elaboration regarding how the test is actually conducted.
- Locking Bolts: The 10 locking bolts are pretty thick, 1.25″, and are located on all four sides. Again, locking bolts on all four sides for an entry level option is the exception, not the norm.
Fit and Finish:
You get to choose two colors, black or charcoal. The interior comes standard with a gray interior.
The Ranger 19 is a solid entry level choice with pricing at only about $1,200. This safe will not stop a determined professional burglar, but should give the inexperienced safe cracker some trouble. It should also do an excellent job at keeping the kids away from your guns. It is a rugged looking safe and is superior to many of the other entry level options out there.
Winchester Ranger 19 – By the Numbers
|Security Features:||Ranger 19|
|UL Security Rating||RSC|
|Steel Thickness||12 Gauge|
|Inside Bolt Holes||Yes|
|Locking Bolts – No.||10|
|Locking Bolts – Sides||2|
|Locking Bolts – Size||1.25″|
|Lock Type||Elec. or Combo.|
|Fire Rating Agency||In-House|
|Fire Rating||1 hour at 1,400° F|
|Exterior Measurement||59″ x 28″ x 22″|